Wednesday 24 October 2012

On the Road

I've just seen the new film of Jack Kerouac's novel "On the Road". It was never going to live up to the book, but it did a pretty good job trying. One of the best parts was finding out that 'Slim Galliard' isn't actually a fictional character in Jack's mind, but an actual musician. A quick look on Youtube and I found the tune they use in the film Yip Roc Heresy. Music like this is the reason why I've re-started playing my trombone - it will be cool one day.

For anyone interested you can actually view the original manuscript Jack wrote at the British Library. I accidentally walked into the exhibition and was pretty excited when I realised what I was looking pensively at. He wrote the whole book in one sitting, taping pages and pages of paper together so that he wouldn't have to get up and interrupt the flow of his creativity. Now that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment