Sunday 20 May 2012

Being a Science Geek

This is a giant tube worm, normally found in deep sea hydrothermal vents thousands of meters below us. These guys live in complete darkness, not only surviving but actually thriving under enormous amounts of pressure and temperatures that range between 2°C and 450°C.

But what is most fascinating about them is that they have no mouth or anus. They get their food from bacteria in their blood utilising nutrients in the surrounding water and store the waste products at the bottom of their tube.

Throughout revision period the fauna of deep sea vents have kept me very much amused and I'm particularly proud of a little joke I've come up with.
Giant Tube Worm: "Do you know I have no mouth of anus?"
Vent Shrimp: "You're full of shit".

I here all week guys...

No comments:

Post a Comment